icon

Remote Patient Monitoring System

2 52356 Hard

Story 

Introduction

Rural people of Bangladesh are suffering for a long time for a lack of good doctors and health checkups point. They need to travel a long way to take the health service and it is very difficult for old, child and ill people. Frequently it creates unexpected death. But leveraging IoT technology and advanced medical sensors the suffering of remote people can be reduced greatly.

Some health parameters like ECG, heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, sleep quality, and SpO2 can give some important clues about the illness to a doctor. For the advancement of electronics and medical sensor technology, all those parameters can be measured easily by using low price sensors. And using the internet the information can be transferred to a doctor instantly and the doctor can easily identify the problem.

This demo device collects body temperature, oxygen saturation level, weight, and blood pressure and sends this parameter to AWS cloud. For collecting sensor data and sending it to AWS I used the AVR-IoT-WA development board.

projectImage
HARDWARE LIST
1 Microchip Technology AVR-IoT WA Development Board
1 DFRobot MAX30102 Heart Rate and Oximeter Sensor Breakout Board
1 DFRobot Gravity I2C OLED-2864 Display
1 Single-Point Infrared Thermometer - MLX90614
1 Li-Ion Battery 1000mA
1 HC-05 Bluetooth Module

Software APPs and Online Services

Microchip Technology MPLAB X IDE

Microchip Technology MPLAB Code Configurator

Amazon Web Services AWS IoT

Amazon Web Services AWS SNS

Hand Tools and Fabrication Machines

3D Printer (Generic)

Soldering Iron(Generic)

Solder Wire, Lead-Free

Hardware Connection 

For measuring body temperature I used MLX90614 IR thermometer sensor, for oxygen saturation level I used Maxim MAX30102 pulse oximeter sensor. The weight and blood pressure are collecting from separate devices using Bluetooth.

projectImage

I used HC-05 Bluetooth module for demonstration purposes. To display the recorded data and configure the device operation I used 0.96 inch OLED display.

projectImage

MLX9014 thermometer, MAX30102 pulse oximeter and OLED display all are connected to the AVR-IoT board using I2C protocol. I develop the library for MPLAB X IDE for all three devices.

projectImage

Bluetooth device communicate using serial port (TX, RX). The connection diagram was added in the schematic section.

projectImage

For placing and making a portable health monitoring box I designed a 3D printed box and the design files are attached in CAD section.

projectImage

A separate handheld unit was made for the thermometer. Because you need to keep it very close to your head while measuring the temperature.

projectImage

The unit is connected to the main PCB using a cable.

projectImage
projectImage
projectImage
projectImage

Software & Cloud Configuration 

projectImage

AWS Data

projectImage

Custom parts and enclosures

Main Box Top 

Main Box Bottom

Thermometer Handle