Wiznet's W5100-EVB-PICO Real Clock on LCD Display

A Real time clock display with Wiznet's W5100-EVB-PICO using SNTP server in PCF8574 I2C LCD display

projectImage

Things used in this project

Hardware components

HARDWARE LIST
1 DFRobot I2C 16x2 Arduino LCD Display Module
1 WIZnet W5100S-EVB-Pico

Software apps and online services

Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

Story

With the use of Wiznet's W5100S-EVB-PICO and LCD I2C displaying the Real Clock using SNTP Server.

This project is based on Wiznet's W5100S-EVB_PICO with C programming using VS studio Code, Its just a small project of showcasing interfacing PCF8574 I2C LCD display and Displaying the real time clock with date time and seconds using the SNTP server with Wiznet IOLibrary.

Features of W5100S-EVB-PICO ​

RP2040 microcontroller with 2MByte Flash

-Dual-core cortex M0+ at up to 133MHz

-264kByte multi-bank high performance SRAM

-External Quad-SPI Flash with eXecute In Place (XIP)

-High performance full-crossbar bus fabric

30 multi-function General Purpose IO (4 can be used for ADC)

-1.8-3.3V IO Voltage (NOTE. Pico IO voltage is fixed at 3.3V)

-30 multi-function General Purpose IO (4 can be used for ADC)1.8-3.3V IO Voltage (NOTE. Pico IO voltage is fixed at 3.3V)

-12-bit 500ksps Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC)

Various digital peripherals

-2 × UART, 2 × I2C, 2 × SPI, 16 × PWM channels

-1 × Timer with 4 alarms, 1 × Real Time Counter

-Various digital peripherals2 × UART, 2 × I2C, 2 × SPI, 16 × PWM channels1 × Timer with 4 alarms, 1 × Real Time Counter

-2 × Programmable IO (PIO) blocks, 8 state machines total

-Flexible, user-programmable high-speed IO

-Can emulate interfaces such as SD Card and VGA

-RP2040 microcontroller with 2MByte FlashDual-core cortex M0+ at up to 133MHz264kByte multi-bank high performance SRAMExternal Quad-SPI Flash with eXecute In Place (XIP)High performance full-crossbar bus fabric30 multi-function General Purpose IO (4 can be used for ADC)1.8-3.3V IO Voltage (NOTE. Pico IO voltage is fixed at 3.3V)12-bit 500ksps Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC)Various digital peripherals2 × UART, 2 × I2C, 2 × SPI, 16 × PWM channels1 × Timer with 4 alarms, 1 × Real Time Counter2 × Programmable IO (PIO) blocks, 8 state machines totalFlexible, user-programmable high-speed IOCan emulate interfaces such as SD Card and VGA

Includes W5100S

-Supports Hardwired Internet Protocols: TCP, UDP, WOL over UDP, ICMP, IGMPv1/v2, IPv4, ARP, PPPoE

-Supports 4 Independent Hardware SOCKETs simultaneously

-Internal 16 Kbytes Memory for TX/ RX Buffers

-SPI Interface

-Includes W5100SSupports Hardwired Internet Protocols: TCP, UDP, WOL over UDP, ICMP, IGMPv1/v2, IPv4, ARP, PPPoESupports 4 Independent Hardware SOCKETs simultaneouslyInternal 16 Kbytes Memory for TX/ RX BuffersSPI Interface

-Micro-USB B port for power and data (and for reprogramming the Flash)

-40 pin 21x51 'DIP' style 1mm thick PCB with 0.1" through-hole pins also with edge castellations

-3-pin ARM Serial Wire Debug (SWD) port

-10 / 100 Ethernet PHY embedded

Supports Auto Negotiation

-Full / Half Duplex

-10 / 100 Based

-Supports Auto NegotiationFull / Half Duplex10 / 100 Based

-Built-in RJ45(RB1-125BAG1A)

-Built-in LDO (LM8805SF5-33V)

Hardware Specification ​

Pin-out ​

projectImage

W5100S-EVB-Pico pinout is directly connected to the GPIO of RP2040 as shown in the picture above. It has the same pinout as the Raspberry Pi Pico board. However, GPIO16, GPIO17, GPIO18, GPIO19, GPIO20, GPIO21 are connected to W5100S inside the board. These pins enable SPI communication with W5100S to use Ethernet function. If you are using the Ethernet function, these pins cannot be used for any other purpose.

For getting started with W5100s-EVB-PICO board with C refer the link

https://github.com/Wiznet/RP2040-HAT-C/blob/main/getting_started.md

Connections

projectImage

Pcf8574 I2C LCD having 4 pins SDA, SCL, VCC and GND, those pins are connecting GPIO 4 (Pin 6), GPIO 5 (Pin 7), Pin 40 and Pin 38 respectively.

projectImage

Results

Initializing the LCD with I2C in LCD command and Data mode along with Wizchip initialization with SPI.

Code 1

projectImage

Initialization of Network using Wiznet chip and SNTP protocol for Real time

projectImage
projectImage
projectImage
projectImage

The article was first published in hackster, May 16, 2022

cr: https://www.hackster.io/463716/wiznet-s-w5100-evb-pico-real-clock-on-lcd-display-9cfa43

author: Teju sh, Dheeraj kumar, Chandana, annjaison

License
All Rights
Reserved
licensBg