icon

How to make a cool game console with UNIHIKER (SBC)

0 420 Easy

Introduction

The memories of aerial combat games stem from my experiences in elementary school. Fortunately, my nine years of compulsory education included computer courses. Every time the class bell rang, I couldn't wait to rush to the computer room, just to enjoy a brief ten-minute gaming session on the 4399 (a gaming site). I wonder if anyone can relate to this sentiment – I would immerse myself in the world of "Shank Kuaipai," experience the intense battles of "Bleach vs. Naruto" with friends, and when a group of us gathered together, we would all dive into the joy of aerial combat games. Those years are precious memories of my youth.

Coincidentally, DFRobot's newly launched UNIHIKER is equipped with an accelerometer, which inspired us to create this aerial combat project based on UNIHIKER.

Production Process

In the brainstorming stage, we set a clear goal: to create a portable game controller using UNIHIKER. So, we made the following task list:

1. Design the structure of the airplane control handle.

2. Implement an independent power supply system.

3. Configure UNIHIKER and write Python programs.

First, we started with the design of the handle structure, visiting https://grabcad.com/library to select an aesthetically pleasing and easily modifiable 3D model for download and modification.

Next, we installed UNIHIKER onto the handle.

During this process, we realized the need to add a battery to the device, so we chose a 3.7V lithium battery and an MP2636 charging booster module, and designed a back-mount structure for installation on the steering wheel.

Honestly, printing this steering wheel structure was quite challenging; it would have been a waste of materials if not for a well-tuned 3D printer, reasonable part design, and proper printing layout (STL files available for download at the end of the article). After simple polishing and assembly, our product finally took shape.

On top of this, we added a mini vibration module. Although it was a last-minute feature, we believe that a handle that doesn't vibrate is not a good game machine. If there are more update needs, we will consider installing it properly.

The last step involved using the pygame library. Remember to install the library in advance with `pip install pygame` or `pip3 install pygame`. Inject the Python code into UNIHIKER (the packaged code is available for download at the end), and the project is complete.

Work Showcase

Without further ado, here's a video to show you how the game is played.

https://dfrobot.loll.cc/%E7%A4%BE%E5%8C%BA%E8%B5%84%E6%96%99%E9%9B%86%E5%90%88%EF%BC%88%E5%A4%87%E4%BB%BD%EF%BC%89/game-console/video.mp4

Summary

In fact, there is still much room for improvement in this project, such as adding wireless speakers, building a Gameboy game library, making a desktop steering wheel bracket with rotational damping, designing protective covers for the vibration motor, and more. We also look forward to hearing your valuable suggestions.

Resource Download

For the model files and code, please download here: https://dfrobot.loll.cc/%E7%A4%BE%E5%8C%BA%E8%B5%84%E6%96%99%E9%9B%86%E5%90%88%EF%BC%88%E5%A4%87%E4%BB%BD%EF%BC%89/game-console/

License
All Rights
Reserved
licensBg