icon

Lightning Bot / Sensor

0 43257 Easy

This tutorial is for how to make a lightning bot / sensor with Wemos D1 Mini (ESP8266), DFRobots' AS3935 and Blynk.

projectImage
HARDWARE LIST
1 Espressif Wemos D1-Mini
1 DFRobot AS3935 Lightning Sensor
5 Jumper Wires / Dupont
1 Breadboard (mini)

AS3935

The AS3935 is a lightning sensor IC. It can sense lightning that is from cloud to ground, or cloud to cloud, up to 40km (25 miles) away, in increments of 1km (0.6 miles) using a 500khz antenna. DFRobot created the breakout with everything needed on it, so there is no need for external parts to have the lightning sensor work. For more info, take a look at the data sheet. It can be bought on amazon or DFRobot.

Connections

There are only two parts, so the connections are nice and simple :).

D1-Mini - AS3935

-       -     GND

+      -     5V

IRQ  -     D3 (GPIO0)

D      -     D2 (GPIO4)

C      -     D1 (GPIO5)

projectImage
projectImage

Blynk

Blynk Setup uses only a few widgets. Three value displays and a terminal. You can also add a superchart to keep track of lightning strikes.

First, create a new project and add a device named "Lightning" (or whatever you like :) ).

projectImage

Next, add widgets.

All the widget's settings are shown below:

projectImage
projectImage
projectImage

Here is the complete Blynk setup:

projectImage

Code Description

The entire code description can be found on the Hackster tutorial found here:

https://www.hackster.io/k-gray/lightning-bot-sensor-ab723c

How to Use It

After uploading this code to your ESP8266, Blynk terminal should have information on it. To change a setting, type the setting you would like to change, into terminal. Then you will get a response asking for additional information for the setting you have chosen. Send the specified value, and the setting is changed! If the value you sent is not within the specified range, you will not get a response.

Menu options and what they do:

projectImage

Wrapping Up

That is it for this tutorial! If you liked it, please thumb up! If you have any questions or comments feel free to post them in the comment section below. And check out my other tutorials!

WiFi Repeater

LoRa and ESP8266 Gateway

IR RGB LEDs

Smart Plug

DHT11 with ESP8266

Automated Driveway Gates

and my website

My Website https://randomelectrictutorials.my-free.website/

License
All Rights
Reserved
licensBg