UMMTC (UNIHIKER Master MQTT Controller)

0 111 Medium

The UNIHIKER is ideal as a control and display for MQTT devices, serving as a portable controller to monitor and manage devices in real time. These features make it an excellent tool for smart home automation projects.

In this project, I explore how to replace the use of a traditional platform on an SBC using UNIHIKER.

The main idea behind UMMTC is that we can replace a conventional home automation server with an SBC, running 24/7 with typical software such as Home Assistant, Node-RED, and Mosquitto.

Although are excellent tools, the goal of UMMTC is to offer a more economical and efficient alternative that allows for quick and simple automations in an accessible way, without losing power and functionality.

The UMMTC, using MQTT as the main communication protocol and taking advantage of its integrated SIOT broker, will function as an interface to send commands, control devices, and display their status on its integrated screen.

We have several advantages:

- Not using our mobile phone for these actions, which avoids distractions.

- Energy savings, as we won't need to run our SBC (Raspberry Pi/Mini-PC) with Home Assistant, Node-RED, and Mosquitto 24/7.

- Being portable and battery-powered, we can take it to our workplace, living room, bedroom, etc.

- Integration and configuration of devices in each room (lights, plugs, sensors, etc.) to communicate via MQTT.

We will implement a typical case, as an example, that will allow us to create quick and simple automations in an accessible manner, without ceasing to be powerful and functional.

- We use the well-known ESP8266/ESP32 devices, which we flash with open-source firmware such as Tasmota and ESP Easy.

- Flashing our devices like Sonoff, Tuya, and others based on ESP32/ESP8266—whether they are lights, relays, sensors, etc.,gives us more control over how to use and configure them.

- They use the MQTT protocol to send data and receive status to control our devices.

- It enhances privacy and security since we can control them locally and not rely on the cloud and allows us to integrate them without the limitations imposed by the original firmware.

- They offer a simple web interface for configuring devices without writing code.Just to mention Tasmota supports 2807 devices to date.

- Both include a powerful rules engine which will allow us to achieve, without having to program, that the connected sensors and actuators collaborate with each other,making it easier to create complex automations without programming.

UMMTC controller

This is a basic diagram of the devices that I have integrated . 

In this case, I integrated 5 devices that were working in one room (my home lab), and I can control EVERYTHING from the UMMTC.

1-The UNIHIKER UMMTC.

2-ESP32 flashed with ESP Easy mega, with WOL (Wake on LAN) capabilities to wake up my PC and NAS. It also controls 4 relays that manage lights, plugs, and other devices (e.g., irrigation zone control through valve shutoff for garden watering). In this case, it emulates a Sonoff 4ch Pro but with more features.

3-ESP8266 Wemos with basic Tasmota firmware connected to PIR sensors, a DHT11 sensor, and two future relays.

4-Using the "old home automation," I manage X10 devices with an ESP8266 that sends X10 signals via RF and is commanded by HTTP requests to control our X10 lights and plugs (still working fine today!).

5- Another ESP8266 with ESP Easy, called "espeasyrele," managing a relay representing a typical Sonoff (**).

6-Finally, I have a KA-Radio 32 device, a Shoutcast player that uses an ESP32, which is also commanded via HTTP request (**).             (** not shown in the picture)

UMMTC Software

MQTT subscription and initiation for topics from #1 Tasmota sensors and #2 ESPeasy relay control and status called "easyrele."

For devices controlled via HTTP request: an HTTP request is sent to KA-Radio 32, returning station info, volume, etc.and the same for change radio stations

Ka-Radio control info and WOL

In this case I chose the ESP Easy version that implements WOL and you simply send the command via http to wake up the PCs.

Control of X10 devices through UMMTC. As I said before, it is a project with an ESP8266 that has a webserver and a X10 RF TX connected and I can continue using the X10 home automation through http commands.

Sample code for ESP with sensors and Tasmota

Installations and Firmware

Tasmota and ESP Easy can be installed by simply connecting the ESP8266 or ESP32 to a PC and accessing a web page.The entire process can be done from the website without having to install anything on your computer. You just have to access the "Web Flasher", select the version you want to save from the list and press the "CONNECT" button and follow the instructions.

To install ESP Easy, connect your ESP device to your computer, select the chosen variant, and click the install button.

To install Tasmota, connect the ESP device to your computer using a USB or serial-to-USB adapter, select the suitable firmware variant for your device, choose the correct port, and hit "Install."

The X10 Web Remote Control project can be found here, and I am using a 315 MHz RF transmitter.

Information on KA-Radio32 is available here.

Since this is a proof of concept and is a "work in progress ", I’ve decided to show the most important parts of the UMMTC software. The complete and updated project, with more features, is available on GitHub.

License
All Rights
Reserved
licensBg