RFID Reader Using NodeMcu ESP8266 & Visuino

In this project we are going to read RFID tags using NodeMcu ESP8266 & Visuino and display tag ID on the OLED Display.

Watch the Video!

STEP 1
What You Will Need

What You Will Need

What You Will Need

What You Will Need

What You Will Need

What You Will Need

What You Will Need
NodeMCU ESP8266 (or any other board)

OLED DisplayMFRC522 RFID Reader moduleBreadboardJumper wiresVisuino program: Download VisuinoVisuino RFID component: Download RFIT Tag Read
STEP 2
The Circuit

The Circuit

Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [3V3] to RFID pin [3.3V]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [3V3] to OLED pin [Vcc]

Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [GND] to RFID pin [GND]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [GND] to OLED pin [GND]

Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D1] to RFID pin [RST]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D2] to RFID pin [SDA]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D3] to OLED pin [SCL]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D4] to OLED pin [SDA]

Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D5] to RFID pin [SCK]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D6] to RFID pin [MISO]Connect NODEMCU ESP8266 Pin [D7] to RFID pin [MOSI]
STEP 3
Start Visuino, and Select the NodeMCU ESP-12 Board Type

Start Visuino as shown in the first picture Click on the "Tools" button on the Arduino component (Picture 1) in Visuino When the dialog appears, select "NodeMCU ESP-12" as shown on Picture 2

STEP 4
Start Visuino, and Select the NodeMCU ESP-12 Board Type Start Visuino, and Select the NodeMCU ESP-12 Board Type Start Visuino as shown in the first picture Click on the "Tools" button on the Arduino component (Picture 1) in Visuino When the dialog appears, select "NodeMCU ESP-12" as shown on Picture 2

Set the Board and RFID Component

Set the Board and RFID Component

First Add "RFID TAG READ (SPI)" component to Visuino, you can download it here and on the page is also a step by step tutorial on how to add it to VisuinoIn Visuino Select "NodeMCU ESP-12" board and in the properties window set I2C pin [SCL] to 3 and set I2C pin [SDA] to 4
STEP 5
In Visuino Add & Set Components

Add "RFID 522 SPI" componentAdd "OLED I2C" component

Double click on the "DisplayOLED1" and in the "Elements" window drag "Draw text" to the left side and in the properties window set "Size" to 2 and "Text" to IDDrag "Text Field" to the left side and in the properties window set "Size" to 2 and "Y" to 30Close the "Elements" window
STEP 6
In Visuino Connect Components
Connect "RFID5221" pin [SPI] to "NodeMCU ESP-12" pin [SPI]Connect "RFID5221" pin [Chip Select] to "NodeMCU ESP-12" digital pin [2]Connect "RFID5221" pin [Reset] to "NodeMCU ESP-12" digital pin [1]Connect "RFID5221" Key pin [Out] to "DisplayOLED1" > "TextField1 " pin [In]Connect "DisplayOLED1" Out pin [I2C] to "NodeMCU ESP-12" I2C pin [In]
STEP 7
Generate, Compile, and Upload the Code

Generate, Compile, and Upload the Code

In Visuino, at the bottom click on the "Build" Tab, make sure the correct port is selected, then click on the "Compile/Build and Upload" button.

STEP 8
Play

If you power the  NodeMcu ESP8266 board and place the RFID Card on the RFID module the OLED Display will show the Tag ID.

Congratulations! You have completed your project with Visuino. Also attached is the Visuino project, that I created for this Instructable, you can download it and open it in Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu

icon RFID-esp8266-OLED.zip 1KB Download(1)
License
All Rights
Reserved
licensBg